Gold's Silver Signals on Point
Can things change? Sure, next week's NFP/AHE/Unemp report will provide crucial signals on the state of labour markets and wages/earnings growth, while the April CPI (March 14) should help seal the fate of this month's Fed hike.
Fundamentals may be indicating that higher yields are not a necessary danger to metals as long as they're backed by steady inflation and soft or no-landing. So what are some technicals telling us?
1) Gold/Silver ratio (Mint Ratio) remains capped below 90—coinciding with the 61.8% retracement of the decline from the Sep high to the Dec low. For instructions on how to glean gold signals from the Mint Ratio, take a look at this short video and my episode with Real Vision for a detailed anlaysis, or this short video.
2) Silver remains comfortably above its rising trendline support –usually an essential condition to metals' optimism –as was seen during Gold's nervous days of Oct 17-30 (see Real Vision interview again)
3) Once you have correctly concluded the positive correlation between the US dollar index and Mint Ratio, can consider the following:
- The September 1st high of 96.55 on the Mint Ratio occurred 27 days before that DXY high of 114.8.
- The 96.55 high also happened to be the 50% retracement of the greater downmove (in the Mint Ratio) from the March 2020 high to the February 2021 low.
Could the latest retracement/resistance on the Mint Ratio continue to hold? It is one thing to navigate the FOMC implications for periodic economic data. But it's also useful to heed key technical levels across the intermarket space.
3 Faces of $2000 Gold
by Ashraf Laidi | Mar 24, 2023 16:38
Guiding Through Confusion إرشاد خلال الصاعقة
by Ashraf Laidi | Mar 20, 2023 16:51
Finally Gold ETFs Flows Do this
by Ashraf Laidi | Mar 17, 2023 17:00
2 Year vs FedFunds Signal
by Ashraf Laidi | Mar 13, 2023 20:23
Avoiding Costly Rookie Mistakes
by Ashraf Laidi | Mar 10, 2023 20:06